Finding a property to rent can sometimes be a busy and stressful time. Insite Realty works with prospective tenants to ensure the process is straightforward and enjoyable.
Five Top Tips for Tenants
1. Know your budget and which features you need in your new rental home, for example:
- Car space/s
2. Research the areas that are suitable, i.e.
- Within a particular school zone
- Proximity to transport, shops or your place of work
3. Make sure the property ticks all the right boxes, for example:
- Is it the right size?
- Are you able to maintain it?
- What services will you have to pay for?
4. Have a clear idea when you can move into a property and ensure you can cover moving expenses, i.e.
- Bond (equivalent to 4 weeks’ rent)
- Two weeks’ rent
- Removalist costs
5. Be organised before viewing properties, i.e.
- Complete an application form
- Take all of your identification documents to the inspection
As a tenant, it is your responsibility to check that property you want to move into has the utilities and connections you require.
Here’s how to check specific connections:
Ring your provider and give them the property address. They can tell you what internet options you have, and if an existing connection is active.Click to check your NBN capability.
Depending on the location of your rental property, you may require a booster to access free-to-air channels on your television.Check the quality of reception available.
If the property doesn’t have Foxtel, request in writing that you would like to connect it. You can do this along with your application.
Handy Forms & Fact Sheets
Residential Tenancies Authority Forms and Resources
Pocket Guide for Tenants Houses and units (Form 17a)
Form 13 Notice of Intention to Leave
Moving out Ending a tenancy agreement
Water charging Criteria for water charging
Domestic and Family Violence Information for Tenants Fact Sheet
Maintenance and Repairs Who is responsible?